Monday, February 6, 2012

The Big Game

Just to preface, I know this post isn't about food. I am trying to get better about writing about other things besides me getting fat. So just pretend to enjoy reading it.

I bet you thought I mean't the Superbowl huh? Well not really. That being said, I will start this rant by saying that I really enjoyed the game. Two great teams battling it out. But...

All the Superbowl really is, is a giant dramatic ad. Sure there might be some sports going on in the background, but does anyone really care? I mean, live in New York and Giants were in it, yet I noticed more cheering for when Audi killed vampires or when Uncle Jesse got head butted or when Clint Eastwood announced he is running for president or when Madonna stopped singing. "The Big Game" is really just to see who has the better ads.

It's just one of those anomalies that people eat up once a year. Sure the ads continue to role the other 364 days but do they really matter to you? "Here We Go," is really just something you say as a joke, if you say it at all (I know I don't. Except when I am pretending to be SWAT or something). But the Budweiser #makeitplatinum hashtag took off like wildfire. Averaging about 50 posts a minute today, so you can only imagine what it was like yesterday with 111.3 million viewers of the Superbowl. Basically Budweiser is trying to say, "Hey, we have something new that can compete with the hip micro brewers out there." At a 6% alcohol level, they might be right, but if it tastes anything like Bud Light, I'll stick with the micro brewers.

111.3 Million viewers. According to Nielsen that is the most viewers of anything ever. It was predicted that about 10 million people turned over to the annual "Puppy Bowl" at half time. So let's just go out on a limb and say 100 million people watched the half time show. That means 100 million people watched Madonna "sing," "dance," and "prove to everyone that she still has got it." Listen, I know people can't really perform at the half time show. But in my eyes, that should make everything easier. IT'S YOUR SONG! YOU SHOULD KNOW THE WORDS! And it's not like she even had hundreds of people close to the stage to watch her fuck up. It was just her shitty dancers, pointless LMFAO, her pointless band, Nikki Minaj, and then MIA. Listen, I get it MIA. You wanted to do something crazy. But what does yelling, "shit" in your 10 second cameo on Madonnas new song and throwing the finger out accomplish? Perhaps most outraged is the Parents Television Council. PTC President Tim Winter released a statement taking NBC to task for the slipped finger.
"NBC fumbled (BAZZZZZING) and the NFL lied because a performer known as M.I.A. felt it necessary to flip off millions of families," Winter said. "It is unfortunate that a spectacular sporting event was overshadowed once again by broadcasting the selfish acts of a desperate performer."
Of course MIA has come out and said that she was, "struck with a case of adrenaline," and "didn't mean anything by it." How dumb are you? I don't know about you guys, but when I have adrenaline, I don't go and do stupid shit in front of 100 million viewers. But that's just me. Do I care that she yelled shit and flipped the camera off? No. But I don't care about a lot of things. But something tells me that her doing that, may have upset a handful of people.
I enjoy the Superbowl. I love everything that comes along with it. The game, the food, the beer, the commercials, hell, even the half time show makes me laugh. But, like I said before, it is all just one giant dramatic ad. That, at least for me, makes no difference in my life. I will not be buying more Doritos, buying a hideous Fiat, giving Matthew Broderick a high five for his complete sell out of Ferris Buellers Day Off, pay to see The Darkness, give George Lucas any more of my money, think Regis Philbin isn't a zombie, and most of all, think Battleship is going to be any good. 


3.5 million dollars for each 30 second ad. Their were about 36 different advertisers during the Superbowl. Many with mulitple commercials. From what I could find, 92 different commercials ran during the game. Let's just round down and say 90 to be safe. Simple mathematics will tell you that is 315,000,000 million dollars just to run an ad. That's not even to produce it. If I am the main consumer, that's a whole lot of wasted money. And even if I am not, that's a whole lot of wasted money. 


But football is fun. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment